view our Practice areas

Enforcing a Support Order in Missouri

Maintenance, spousal support and child support are necessary payments ordered by the court that individuals rely on and deserve to receive. When an individual fails to pay due support, it can create a financial burden on the person due the support. At the Law Office of Barbara Graham, LLC, I understand what is at stake when payments are not made and the difficulties of enforcing such payments.

With more than 10 years of experience practicing law, I am knowledgeable in Missouri divorce laws. I assist residents of St. Louis County, Missouri, the City of St. Louis, St. Charles County, Missouri, as well as other neighboring county residents enforce child support, maintenance, and spousal support court orders and file civil contempt motions when necessary. If you need assistance with enforcement of Missouri payments, I can help.

Contempt — When It Makes a Difference

If an individual has the ability to pay and deliberately violates a court order for support, the courts may hold that individual in contempt for failure to pay the child support or maintenance. An individual charged with contempt faces the penalties of incarceration, restitution and fines.

If the individual did not have the ability to pay the support, there is not a valid reason to file a contempt motion because it is likely that the individual still does not have the ability to pay. Contempt orders are not intended to harass an individual for not paying support. Their intent is to reimburse the due support and punish an individual for not following a court order when he or she had the ability to pay.

How I Can Help You?

When assisting individuals with child support and maintenance enforcement, I analyze the situation to verify that there was in fact contempt. If contempt was involved, my firm investigates what remedies are available to our client. If the individual had means to pay my client but deliberately failed to do so or spent the money on non-necessities, I represent my client in a contempt action by filing a motion for contempt and enforcement.

If you are not receiving court-ordered child support payments, spousal support payments, or maintenance, and believe the individual has the ability to pay the support, I may be able to assist you in a civil contempt action to reimburse you and punish the individual.

Contact my office for a consultation and case evaluation. We can be reached at 314-725-7600 or by completing the contact form.