view our Practice areas

Post-Divorce Modifications to Support or Custody

A divorce decree is a reflection of current income and lifestyles of the ex-spouses. However, as time goes on following the end of the marriage, events occur that require a revisiting of the original documents. At the Law Office of Barbara Graham, LLC, I represent my clients pursuing or disputing divorce modifications.

When money is involved in a divorce action, cooperation can turn into heated disputes. When changes in life result in less money or a move to another state, our job is to get to the facts of modifications that include:

  • Child custody and visitation
  • Child support
  • Spousal support

Whether you are seeking termination of maintenance or reduced child support payments, contact my law office at 314-725-7600 .

Seek Court Approval of All Modifications

Negotiating a modification outside of the legal system is not recommended. While you and your ex-spouse may agree at the time to the changes, a document approved by the courts carries more weight should future disputes arise.

Modifying child and spousal support often results from the loss of a job. Time spent seeking new employment only to secure a job at half the pay requires immediate action. Not seeking a support modification will only put someone further behind in payments, resulting in serious penalties. Worrying about prior promises or hurt feelings can only do more harm.

At the Law Office of Barbara Graham, LLC, I also help my clients with custody modifications as their children's needs change or their ex-spouse is requesting to move to another state. As with a divorce, the focus is on the best interests of the child. The court will require a significant change — usually a new job — and must give permission to the spouse if the move leads to a better quality of life for their children.

Contact Our Clayton Office in the Sevens Building · Free Parking

For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced St. Louis divorce modifications lawyer, please contact me.