Law Office of Barbara Graham, LLC
Local 314.226.1428
Toll Free866.734.9630
Attorney Barbara L. Graham LEARN MORE

October 2014 Archives

What methods of child support enforcement are there?

In Missouri, custodial parents may be eligible for receiving child support from the child's other parent, even if the parents were never married. Child support can be obtained either through a court order or as a result of an agreement made between the parents. If support is not being paid, the person who is supposed to be receiving it can either work with the non-paying parent, obtain assistance from the Missouri Family Support Division or go through the court system.

Child Support in Missouri

Residents of Missouri who would like assistance with regard to child support services can turn to the Missouri Family Support Division, or FSD, which provides services to alleged fathers, children between 18 and 21 years of age, representatives of deceased custodial parent's estate, custodial parents, non-custodial parents and those who have legal custody of a child but are not one of the child's parents. Some services that the FSD offers include establishment of child support orders, reviews of orders that already have been created and enforcement of child support orders, which may include actions such as withholding income, lottery winnings or income tax return money; filing civil or criminal charges against individuals who fail to pay their child support; and reporting those who owe past due support to credit bureaus.

The process and benefits related to establishing paternity

When a woman gives birth to a child out of wedlock, that child does not have a legal father, even if the biological father was present at the hospital for the birth. In Missouri, however, biological fathers have the right to establish their legitimacy as legal fathers, and there are several ways they can do this.

Child custody in Missouri

After a divorce, parents in Missouri might have questions about child custody. There are two different kinds of custody parents should be aware of: legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody pertains to making decisions about the child's health, education and welfare, while physical custody involves how much time the child will spend living and/or visiting with each parent. Both legal and physical custody may be awarded to either one parent or both. A third party can also have custody of the child, such as a grandparent.

get started
Providing experienced family law representation in an emotionally supportive environment.

Contact us for Responsive and Effective Legal Representation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy