image description

Understanding the Missouri Child Support Payment system

I get calls from clients (and former clients) saying that they have not received their child support payment, or that they don’t know how to find out if they are up to date on child support payments. Often I can find the answer to their question very quickly by logging onto Missouri’s Department of Social Services website, and the info is something that most anyone can access as long as they have the right information.

  • First, you will want to go to This is the general website for all of the Missouri Department of Social Services, which includes Division of Family Services, Missouri Health Net, food stamps, foster care, and child support.
  • Click where it says “Families” and then click on “Child Support”, and then Access Payment Information.
  • When you get to the next page, you will need the following info:
  • 8 digit case number (this is a case number that child support gives you. It is all numbers, so it is not your court case number. Look for a letter from child support and it will be on there, likely called the “IV-D Case Number”.
  • Last 4 of SSN. This would be the last 4 of either your social security number or the other parent’s.
  • Date of birth. Again, either yours or the other parent.
  • This will bring you to the page that has your court case number on it. Click on that and it will bring you to the page that says “Payment Information”. This will give you the payments for the last 13 months as well as what was disbursed. It will also tell you on the top if there is any back child support owed. If you are wondering if a recent payment of child support was taken out of your former spouse’s paycheck and sent to Jefferson City, you should be able to find the payment on this document once it hits the Family Support Center, which is the agency that processes the payments.

The Family Support Center is pretty good about sending the money out quickly once they receive it. If you find that a payment has been made that has not been disbursed within a few days, you will want to call them and find out what is going on with it. If you know that a payment was taken out of your paycheck but does not show up on this, you will want to contact your employer about that.

If you need to find out about payments going back further than 13 months, you can visit the child support office at your courthouse and they will be able to give you a complete printout since the payments began.