image description

What happens if you cannot meet child support obligations?

A Missouri divorce will have serious financial implications for your life, and sometimes, these changes can impact your life for years to come. It can be difficult to manage financial issues after divorce, and sometimes, they may impact your ability to pay child support. When your financial circumstances change, you can feel overwhelmed and unsure of the most appropriate course of action.

One option for you includes the ability to seek a modification to your existing support order. This is a legal change to your existing child support order, which can make it easier for you to make payments without problems or issues. There are certain requirements you must meet in order to be eligible for this type of change to your custody plan.

When is a change necessary?

Securing a change to your support order is about much more than just wanting to pay less. Some reasons why parents may need to adjust their support order include the following:

  • Job loss or reduction in income
  • Remarriage or move
  • Birth of additional children
  • Children have fewer financial needs

If you think you have grounds to seek a modification, it is smart to seek guidance regarding this potential legal option and the steps you need to take to secure changes.

How do I get a modification?

You and your ex-spouse may agree that a change to your support payments is necessary, even if only for a temporary basis, but there is more involved than a verbal agreement. You will have to file a petition, and a court will have final say over whether or not you can modify your order.

It is possible to seek temporary modifications on the basis of emergency financial circumstances. If you need a change, it is prudent to take immediate action to find out what you can do and how you can proceed.

Protecting your rights

Your parental rights do not hinge on your ability to make child support payments. Meaning, if you cannot meet your support obligations, this does not allow the other parent the right to refuse to allow you to have your rightful custody and visitation time.

Protecting your rights can start with a complete evaluation of your case. This can allow you to know the specific options available to you and how you can move forward with the most appropriate course of action. Dealing with support matters can be complex, but you do not have to face it alone.